birding-aus

Pat O'Malley's Mallards

Subject: Pat O'Malley's Mallards
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:37:41 +1000

Dear all

such things mixed up. New Zealand has lost/or is in the process of losing,
its pure Grey Duck gene pool due to the very aggressive sexual activity of
Mallard Drakes.

I wish we could have action to remove all Mallard and Domestic ducks from
urban parks as once they get really vigorously out into the bush, the same
thing is going to happen here.

In the UK, drakes are known to drown the poor females in their excessive
sexual activities, and I've seen badly damaged and drowned white domestic
ducks in Centennial Park Sydney (bare, sore or bloody necks) by the end of
the breeding season, and there are some mixed Black/Mallards there.

So please, Pat, encourage your lot to continue the way they are going!

Penny

Penny Drake-Brockman
Sydney Conservatorium of Music