birding-aus

multi (from Lorne)

Subject: multi (from Lorne)
From: lorne <>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 11:22:17 +0000
A  few things...

THE LIFE OF BIRDS is a fabulous show, regardless of continuity errors.
Think of all the positives... computer images of moas and ancient
eagles in NZ, archaeoptyrx graphics, simulation of b&w owl night vision,
the diversity of species shown, great night footage of kiwis and kakapos
calling etc. there are many many many good things about this series and
I think the lyrebird criticism etc. has been a bit over the top. Thank
God Sir David bothered to do a ten part series of this nature... it's
made my Sunday evenings and week!!!!!!! He is a scholar and a hero and
I'd prefer to be watching his ornithological work than anything else on
a Sunday night, or any other night!

However, I think the show could go into greater detail about certain
things. I think David doesn't want to bombard people with info. overkill
- the show is a general thing. I'm sure, if he'd wanted to, he could
have made the series laboriously detailed, but that may have isolated
Joe or Josephine Average (who the show is probably aimed at), who are
nature lovers and look at backyard birds but don't twitch or list birds
ardently.

Also... Go and see A BUG'S LIFE - the computer animation is brilliant,
especially that of a hungry canary/finch attacking various insects!!!

And... read Marie Winn's RED-TAILS IN LOVE, about Red-tailed Hawks and
other birds in Central Park, New York City. It's sad, enlightening,
imformative and humorous.

Have a good one folks,

I'm off after Chestnut Quail-thrush and Southern Scrub-Robin at Round
Hill on Thursday morning!

LORNE.