birding-aus

Bilingual Magpie

Subject: Bilingual Magpie
From: Stan Emmerson <>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 22:51:35 +1000
Dear Carol,
            On 9 April 98 whilst looking for Gouldian Finches at Durham Dam
Near Georgetown in Far North Queensland, I observed not one Bilingual Magpie
perfectly mimicking the Pale-Headed Rosella, but three.  They were sitting
in the same low tree with me standing underneath, my head going from one to
each of the others as they all mimicked in unison.  This went on for several
minutes as I watched and they were still calling as I continued on my way.
It was the hotest part of the day & I assume they were "filling in time".

Cheers,  Stan