birding-aus

mechanical mimicry

Subject: mechanical mimicry
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 11:46:30 +1000
John Maddy and I were undertaking the monthly avian survey at a reveg site
at Lavarack Barracks, Townsville this morning between 6.30 - 9.00 am.  Our
attention was drawn to an ironbark in which three Great Bowerbirds were
bounding around on the upper boughs.  As well as the usual clicks and
whirrs commonly made by Great Bowerbirds, one was was making a monotonous
droning sound. I have heard Great Bowerbirds mimicing other birds on James
Cook university canmpus (one bird there gives a particularly good rendition
of a Whistling Kite), but this sound was quite different.  After listening
to it for a couple of minutes it occurred to me that the sound was similar
to that of a helicopter hovering.  (Lavarack is one of the largest military
barracks in Australia).

Whilst not wanting to resurrect the suggested motor drive / barking dog
sounds of lyrebirds, I would be interested to hear if other birders living
in the tropics had also encountered mechanical mimicry in Great Bowerbirds.
 Please reply directly to me.

Cheers

Alex Appleman
Townsville