birding-aus

Re: Birds & Mirrors

To: Ken Maling <>
Subject: Re: Birds & Mirrors
From: Atriplex Services <>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:55:44 +1030
I don't profess to be an expert but perhaps I should clarify my comments
by emphasizing that I've mainly used mirrors for young birds being
hand-reared and, notably for a juvenile (?) Apostlebird (with a broken
ankle) which I was afraid might "pine" to death without its extended
family. The ruse was an outstanding success. The bird would always roost
snuggled up to a mirror until it was sucessfully returned to its family
about 3 months later. Incidentally, it also became extremely talkative
once the mirrors were put in the cage and I taped some of its
vocalizations.
A hand-reared magpie used to dance in front of our bedroom mirror. (We
called it doing the Eagle Rock!)
Anne
--
Anne & Roger A. Green
Atriplex Services-Environmental Consultants, Landscapers, Educators and

http://www.riverland.net.au/~atriplex
Mailto: