birding-aus

re:Sparrows and Other Unwanted Species

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: re:Sparrows and Other Unwanted Species
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:10:08 +1000
Like Jill Denning, I must also throw a spanner into the works.  I have in front of me my notes for two hours (6am to 8am) on the 23 November 1991 for my yard at Jandowae.  Unlike Jill, I had not been there long enough to make any changes and the yard consisted of a few gums and melaleucas with the balance as lawn (using the word in its loosest context).  This yard totalled about 24 perches (I'm an old guy).

The most common birds were Miners (Noisy and Yellow-throated), Magpies, Galahs, Crows and Currawongs.  The list for the two hours totalled 37 with 5 species of parrots, 5 species of Honeyeaters (plus the Miners), 2 Cuckoo-shrikes, etc.

As well there were Double-barred Finches and Yellow-rumped Thornbills nesting in the Melaleucas and Superb Fairy-wren running all over the lawn.

There were also Sparrows and Common Starlings.  Sorry John Holt, bang goes another theory.

Terry Pacey
Toowoomba.