birding-aus

Re:calculated CO2 emmission per lifer (new bird)

To: Peter Woodall <>
Subject: Re:calculated CO2 emmission per lifer (new bird)
From: Niels Poul Dreyer <>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:06:24 +1100 (EST)
Dear Folks , Susan Mayers and Peter Woodall

>From the data of jet travel I did in 1998 I have calculated the following:

My trip to South Africa, Europe return to Brisbane gave the following result:

TOTAL CO2: 47 hours x 800 km/h  x 0,146 kg/pKm x/1000 Kg/t = 5,5 tonCO2

PRICE $ 2000 tantamount to $364/ton CO2
200 lifers = 36 lifer per ton CO2

My trip to New Caldonia

TOTAL CO2: 1600 km x 800 km/h x 0,146 kgCO2/kmp/1000 kg/ton = 0,234 tonCO2

PRICE (frequent flyer value) = $727 tantamount to $ 3107/ton CO2
17 lifers = 72 lifers/tonCO2

I think the airfare to New Calidonia is reasonable priced which reflect less
competition but un-intentionally account for environmental damage.
Consequently my trip to South Africa and Europe ought to have cost $2000 x
3107/364 = $17000.
That should be the tax on Airtravel!!!
For Birders inclusive my self the message is: BECOME A REGIONAL BIRDER,
Indoniesia, Pacific have about 700 endemics or more, there are a lot to be
seen for less CO2 impact.
I will take note of this in my future travel plans!

Niels Poul Dreyer
5/13 George Street
Pialba, Qld 4655