birding-aus

Re: Wring its neck!

To: "Brian Fleming" <>, "Anne & Roger Green" <>
Subject: Re: Wring its neck!
From: "Muir Environmental" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:02:02 +0800
Mon 14Dec98; 0940hrs

I agree with Atriplex Anne, and Brian.  I was supervisor for a time at a
Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre in Perth.  The caring attitude of the
volunteers was strong and the work often rewarding, especially when the
animal (indigenous) pulled thru and was released (back to where it came
from).

However, I did and still do have mixed feelings about the whole concept of
rescuing, rehabilitating and releasing back into the wild rehabilitated
animals - ESPECIALLY baby animals.

Most baby animals need to learn from their own kind how to survive (I'm
allowing for cuckoos et al by saying "most").  For those that must learn to
cope in the "wild", they must learn what food is right for them, how to
find it, how to collect it, even how to eat it; how to recognise water;
what to avoid; what is dangerous, etc. etc.; and the many social skills
they must have to "fit in", find a mate, and pass on their genes.  That's
probably not all, but its a taste for thinking.

We can't teach these things to a wild animal.  I suspect, in the long run,
many rehabilitated wild juvenile animals do not cope well out there, and
may even die a slow death due to starvation, or be killed as an intruder by
others of its own or other species.

My intention is not to put people off about caring for sick, injured or
"abandoned" animals, but I think we should think about why we do it and
does it really benefit the animal in the long run.

There are other issues to be considered also, but I think I've opened up
enough of a can of worms with these comments, that may result in all sorts
of responses, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Happy thinking

Jennifer Muir