birding-aus

Speckled warber: adapting to campus living?

Subject: Speckled warber: adapting to campus living?
From: "Cilla Kinross" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:00:49 +1000
My research has hinted that this species has adapted to tree
plantings and is gradually spreading out from remnant woodland into
more disturbed areas, providing native trees have been planted and
the planting is sufficiently wide.  I actually have a family of three
which have visited the  tiny pebble-mulched garden outside my window at the
Orange Agricultural College campus and had to cross part of a car-park to get
there.

What I would be interested in is whether 'synthetic' habitats such as
windbreaks and gardens are proving useful habitat (particularly
breeding sites) for this species.  This species is not common in this
region (and is reportedly declining due to the heavy loss of habitat
and increase in fragmentation) so my sample for this species outside remnant
woodland is so far very small.

If you have any interesting sightings or observations OUTSIDE of
remant woodland or forest, I would be very happy to hear from you.  I
am particularly interested in the distance away from remnant woodland
that the bird was seen.   Apart from a few remnant scattered trees,
the Speckled Warblers here on campus are over four kilometers from the
nearest patch of bush and that's not in particularly good condition.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cilla Kinross