birding-aus

Birds in the Melbourne CBD

Subject: Birds in the Melbourne CBD
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 12:43:06 +1100
On Friday last at about noon, I was passing behind the Uniting church at
the corner of Collins and Russell Streets when I heard a commotion above.
The space has a pond with water constantly flowing down a kind of column
set in the middle of the pond.  On top of the column, about 20 metres up,
was a White-faced Heron being dive-bombed by a pair of either Australian
Hobbies or Nankeen Kestrels.  At every dive, the Heron ducked and squawked
but was not driven from its perch during the 10 minutes that I watched.  I
presume the falcons were nesting on a nearby city building.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia