birding-aus

Re: Jabiluka Petition

To: "Marshal John Douglas" <>
Subject: Re: Jabiluka Petition
From: Niels Poul Dreyer <>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 09:04:02 +1100 (EST)
At 12:24 AM 8/16/98 +1000, you wrote:
>The recent and captious communication from Niels Paul Dreyer dismissing the
concerns of those who seek to agitate the Federal Parliament and Executive
government about the mining of uranium at Jabiluka is misguided.

Hi Folks

Four months ago Mr Marshal lambasted my questioning about Jabiluka Petition.
A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. The UNESCO conference
in Koyoto has said the mine is not safe to the park and it might be listed
as endangered if the mine is going ahead. There is some principle here
regarding Australian stance in the international conservation community.
Australia took an antienvironmental stance on the greenhose problem and
lobbied the Republican congress to block an agreement, because Australia
want to make money on exporting coal to China. If Australia send a message
to other nations that UN listing of heritage sites should not stop
development, then Australia has made a negative contribution to the
environment and supports destroying biodiversity. If a new petition is made
to stop the mine on the grounds that it will endanger the spirit of world
heritage site protection on global scale I WILL SIGN IT!!! However I still
think the mine itself is relatively benign compared with what is going on in
PNG and Irian Jaya.

Comnming back from my trip to SA and Europe, I know Australia has a very bad
reputation in conservation circles and among the general public over there.
This is of course based on the fact that Australians generate more garbage
and use more energy per person than in any other country in the world except
perhaps the US (just). It is time to sell the 4 WD or 4 litre car, jetski,
motorboat, get a front loading washing mashine, get rid of old electrical
enery using appliances, install solar heating panels and start composting,
before anybody can proclaim that they are not an anti-environmentalist. The
government has totally failed to tax energy use and consequently petrol is
far too cheap. In Denmark plastic bags are taxed with 1 dollar each, so
everyone brings their own bag when shopping.

Niels Poul Dreyer
5/13 George Street
Pialba, Qld 4655