birding-aus

Big Day Out - maybe...

Subject: Big Day Out - maybe...
From: RUSSELL DEAN WOODFORD <>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 12:16:39 +1000 (EST)

Discussion about a short-course twitchathon seems to have fallen in a hole
- perhaps you've all been busy birdwatching all weekend?  Or are you flat
out filling out all those Atlas sheets??

Anyway, I still think the idea has merits, and we should try to get it off
the ground, in some form at least, for the first part of 1999.  Anyone
care to suggest a suitable date?  Australia Day seems very suitable
occasion for such an event (26th January for o/s readers).

If Birds Australia are unable to do something like this at such short
notice, or if they don't have the time/personnel/funds, then how about WE
get together for a BIRDING-AUS TWITCHATHON?

Send your comments to the list (for discussion) or to me personally (to
register your 'vote').

My proposal:

26 January 1999 (I think it's a Tuesday)

Any time within the 24-hour period.
Any place within 1 1-degree block of your choice.
Teams of 1 or more
More than half of team must see or hear the bird to count it
 (i.e. team of 2 - both must see/hear; team of 3, 2 must see/hear)

Award Categories:
Most Species
Most Species (after cancelling*)
Best bird for each state (by popular vote)

* Any species seen by another team is struck off - remaining species
(if any!) count.  This may need to be on a state by state basis so a few
teams actually score SOMETHING.  It's a bit like Boggle, for those who
have played it.

Comments please.  I'm sure some of you will be able to think of some
really perverse categories...

Russell Woodford
          PH: 03 52 739237
MOB:  0419 395 100  FAX:  03 52 739371