birding-aus

RE: Geographic proposal for next years twitchathon

Subject: RE: Geographic proposal for next years twitchathon
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:26:53 +1000
> I think Tony's proposals for a "restricted" twitchathon has merit in that
> it could encourage more participation by your average member of the bird
> clubs.  However, I would suggest that the facility for this already
> partially exists in the form of the Champaign Twicthathon which is
> generally much more relaxed.

There is an environmental aspect to all of this too.  Birders in general do
burn up a fair amount of petrol in pursuit of their hobby; and the
Twitchathon brings on a few extreme examples of that.  Some years ago,
Jemery Day (ardent cyclist, then of Adelaide) and I suggested a third
division of the Twitchathon.  The existing ones being Main and Champagne -
we mooted a Restricted or Handicap division, where totals would be judged
against the kilometres travelled.  It didn't receive any support, and
consequently my team name remains apt (the Common Driving-Petrolheads).

I think Tony's proposal has merit, being along similar lines to the Handicap
event I mentioned earlier.  David's comments are spot on too - the
Twitchathon needs promotion!  I see the annual Twitchathon as a fabulous
opportunity for Birds Australia to publicise its aims and activities - an
opportunity missed I think.  It could have been a vehicle for popularising
the Atlas project as well.  How about an episode of the ABC's "Australian
Stories", following a Twitchathon team during preparation and the race -
great potential for a few laughs if nothing else.  I don't think the
Twitchathon is an elitist event - the Petrolheads did win it after all!  I
can see that it has that kind of image though, and I for one would be happy
to be involved in promoting the 1999 Twitchathon in new and more inclusive
ways.

How about a "Twitchathon-99" committee?  Sorry for that dirty word
(committee), but I think we need a few different opinions from racers,
organisers, rank & file birders, etc.  .... and while we're at it, we could
perhaps try to sort out the BA/QOSI Twitchathon clash that occurs every
year.

Cheers, Lawrie