birding-aus

Ground Parrot at Wilson's Prom?

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Ground Parrot at Wilson's Prom?
From: "Nigel Sterpin" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:10:18 +1100
My wife and I have just come back from spending the weekend at the Prom
(and finding out we left just before the protest rally!!). I reckon I spent
a cumulative total of 6 hours looking for Ground Parrots around Five Mile
Road (thankyou to those who suggested this area where there have been
sightings over the last two years). I drew a blank except for a possible
sighting on Friday night in absolutely shocking weather. I saw something
shoot out of the fire break with incredibly rapid wing beats (I haven't yet
seen a Swift Parrot) and dive back into the heath. As the weather was so
bad I did not see any colour. Apart from a Ground Parrot, it could only be
a Musk or Rainbow Lorikeet, as it was too quick for a Crimson Rosella or
Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo (other common birds in the area). Any
suggestions?
Also I heard no 'special' types of calling around dusk or dawn, is it
supposed to be fairly loud and do they actively fly around these times?
email: