birding-aus

Good birds at Wheeney Creek, 11/2 hours north-west of Sydney

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Good birds at Wheeney Creek, 11/2 hours north-west of Sydney
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 17:53:16 +1100
We saw some good birds in the Wheeny Creek reserve which is part of Wollemi National Park, today. We initially went up to the Comleroy Road to the intersection of the Mountain Lagoon Road to look for Spotted Quail-thrush.  This is one of the most reliable sites for this bird but alas we neither heard or saw one. However I did flush a Painted Button-quail.

Lower down at the creek we had lunch with Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos, Leaden Flycatchers, Crested Shrike-tits, Golden & Rufous Whistlers, 4 species of honeyeater and a pair of Gang-gang Cockatoos.  To see the Gang-gangs, stand in the carpark, look south-west to the top of a Sydney Bluegum, look for the one with a dark hole 2/3rds of the way up.  You should see a female looking straight at you and the male sitting nearby.

While having a cuppa at the Quail-thrush site, I met an old birding acquaintance who told me that a week ago, at Mount York lookout which is just west of Mount Victoria in the Blue Mountains; he heard Painted Honeyeaters calling clearly from the valley below.  Maybe someone could follow this up.

Trevor  & Annie Quested
Sydney,  Australia

Phone   +61 2 9955 6266
Fax  + 61 2  9959 4005