birding-aus

RE: Where have all the Ibis gone?

To: "'jon wren'" <>
Subject: RE: Where have all the Ibis gone?
From: "Atzeni, Michael" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 12:56:56 +1000
Hi, Jon

I put up a posting about the lack of ibis and general shortage of waterbirds
around here a couple of weeks ago.  The situation remains the same.

Our team did the rounds between Moreton Bay and Toowoomba for the QOS Twitch
and only saw a few Sacred Ibis including one large flock overhead, so some
may be starting to filter back.   Usually, can get all three species.
There haven't been any Straw-necks reported around Toowoomba or the Lockyer
Valley for several weeks now and I can't recall such a mass exodus over such
a wide area of SEQ in the past.

As to where all the ibis have gone,  I'm none the wiser.  There surely must
be some of the bigest, most spectacular breeding events of recent times
occurring somewhere at present.   Some great documentary material, perhaps,
up for grabs.

I hope someone can enlighten readers as to the whereabouts and relative
magnitude of the inland breeding colonies of ibis, herons, egrets, &
spoonbills this breeding event compared with previous ones.

Regards

Michael Atzeni

Phone +61 7 4688 1318
Fax    +61 7 4688 1192