birding-aus

Cairns Crocodile Farm turns up trumps (as usual?)

Subject: Cairns Crocodile Farm turns up trumps (as usual?)
From: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 23:43:01 +1100
A short (3.30 - 5.00pm) visit to the Cairns Crocodile Farm today produced a
rather spectacular little list of 5 crakes, rails and bitterns.
White-browed and Spotless Crakes, Black (our second for the trip) and
Little (my first Australian sighting) Bitterns and Buff-banded Rail
reinforced the importance of this site for reed-birds.
Another feature of the day's birding (at Cumberland Dam, Georgetown in the
morning and the crocodile farm in the afternoon) was the 7 finch species:
Zebra, Double-barred, Masked, Black-throated, Red-browed, Crimson and
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin.
North Queensland can certainly put on a good birding show, can't it!

From:    Dr Richard Nowotny,
             Melbourne, Australia.
             Tel. (w) 61-3-9214.1420
             <>