birding-aus

Re: Kooragang Island

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: Kooragang Island
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 98 11:15:46 +1000
     The Spiny Rush is Juncus acutus  L.

     Alan Leishman

Subject: Kooragang Island
Author:  "David Geering"<> at mailgate
Date:    11/6/98 8:26 AM

The Spiny Rush on Kooragang Island is Juncus actutus (or actuta - latin
buffs please correct).  It is NOT a native but introduced in ships ballast
water to the Hunter estuary.  To my knowledge it occurs only in this
estuary.  It is a SERIOUS weed readily colonising wetlands, particularly
those occasionally inundated by salt water.  The plants form impenetrable
stands thus effectively rendering sites formerly used by shorebirds as
roost sites completely unsuitable.
Alan, my comments re. further work on Stockton Sandspit will be sent to you
privately.  I was the original architect of the rehab. work there.  There
are a few adjustments required, primarily due to the difficult hydrological
situation.
David Geering