birding-aus

Swift paradox & waterbird dearth

To: "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Swift paradox & waterbird dearth
From: "Atzeni, Michael" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:36:56 +1000
Does anyone know why swift migration south is so slow?

We recorded White-throated Needletails around here (Helidon, SE Qld ) on
Sunday. Got them the same time last year too.  You'd imagine they'd be in
Canberra and beyond alot earlier than December if they live up to their
name.   Or is there some other factor hindering their migration?

The Toowoomba Bird Obsevers held it's annual October species census last
weekend and, in a 200 sq. km area taking in Toowoomba and Helidon, recorded
ca 150 species but did not find a single ibis, spoonbill, White-necked Heron
or egret (except for Cattle egret).  Ducks were also thin on the ground
(e.g. 1 Magpie goose, 2 Chestnut Teal &  3 Australasian Shovelers and only a
few Plumed Whistling, Black & Wood Duck and Grey Teal) to give you some
idea.

Must be a bumper breeding season in some places out west.  How widespread is
this current dearth of waterbirds?

Regards
Michael Atzeni