birding-aus

Re: caper whites

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: caper whites
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:24:54 +1100
Victoria Quinton wrote:

> Is there a picture online somewhere showing these?
> The alliterative lepidoptera larvae of Australia is at:
> http://linus.socs.uts.edu.au/~don/larvae/larvae.html

I found a good web page at:
   http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/2954/

It a large number of butterflies including the Caper White.
( http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/2954/pier/java.html )
It's certainly worth adding to your bookmarks file, even if the Geocities
ads are annoying.

> but I don't know the latin name for Caper White.

Belenois java (Linnaeus)  (previously: Anaphaeis teutonia)

>  I had not heard the name before.  Are they likely to be in Frankston?
>
> I could encourage my daughter and her kindergarten friends to look out for
> them, if so.

They can migrate south to Melbourne in summer, so they are possible in
Frankston; even if the Caper White isn't around, it would be interesting
to see what species are around.  Is there a Butterfly Atlas project?  :)

    Paul Taylor                                Veni, vidi, tici -
                          I came, I saw, I ticked.