birding-aus

Champagne Twitchathon

Subject: Champagne Twitchathon
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:31:54 +1000
Morning all.

For anyone interested, here is the list compiled by the Norwegian Blues
(Mum, Dad and me), slightly embarassed winners of the Victorian Champagne
Race.  Why "slightly embarassed"?  Because there were only two entries in
the Champagne Race division!  Sincere thanks to Andrew Isles for the gift
vouchers, and to the BA team for the organisation, the cooking and the cold
beers at the end of the race.

Our list was compiled entirely on the Sunday, due to other commitments on
Saturday.  (For Champagne Race rules purposes, Saturday afternoon at the
cricket was our compulsory afternoon tea break.)  We started at 5:30 am
with a sprint out to Christmas Hills, had our morning tea at One Tree Hill
from 6:05 - 6:35, then covered Dixon's Creek, Warrandyte, back through town
(picking up my sons Phillip and Andrew), out to Melton South, You Yangs,
Werribee (lunch at the mouth of Little River from 1:05 to 2:05), Altona
foreshore and an unproductive dive into the Botanic Gardens before
finishing at Hawthorn.   Special thanks to John Phillips for allowing us
access to private property, Rod and Geoff from the You Yangs for letting us
through a usually locked gate to get Rainbow Bee-eaters, Restless
Flycatcher, New Holland Honeyeater and a White-winged Triller, and of
course my wife Cathy for letting me monopolise the car all day.

Seriously, we had a great day, as we have done on every Twitchathon since
we first entered in 1992.  Like Lawrie, we missed some usually unmissable
birds - no Avocets or Stilts at Paradise Road, for instance - which adds to
the challenge - on the other hand, we hadn't really planned to get a
Wedge-tailed Eagle at Warrandyte or a Shining Bronze-cuckoo on powerlines
at Lara.  Our best true twitch was the flock of Cattle Egrets sharing a
paddock with some sheep next to the Maltby By-pass, which we ticked as we
passed at 100 km/h.  I'd like to encourage more of the keen but casual
birdos out there to become twitchers for a day next year, enter the
Champagne Race and have an enjoyable and challenging day while pumping some
dollars in to worthy conservation projects.

By the way, who locked the Paradise Road gate???

1998 NORWEGIAN BLUES (CHAMPAGNE RACE WINNERS) TWITCHATHON BIRD LIST
   Itinerary: Christmas Hills (CH) ? Kinglake National Park (KNP) ?
   Warrandyte ? Glen Waverley/ Glen Iris (GG) ? Melton South (MS) ?
   Eynesbury Forest (EF) ? You Yangs (YY) - Werribee Treatment Complex
   (WTC) ? Altona (Alt) ? Hawthorn
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 1.   | Musk Duck            |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Pair WTC.                                      |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 2.   | Black Swan           |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Pair MS, common WTC.                           |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 3.   | Australian Shelduck  |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One MS, small flocks WTC.                      |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 4.   | Australian Wood Duck |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Small groups CH ? Warrandyte, family GG.       |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 5.   | Pacific Black Duck   |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present most wetland areas, but no large       |
  | groups.                                        |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 6.   | Australasian         |
|      | Shoveler             |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Flock of about 6, Lake Borrie, WTC.            |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 7.   | Grey Teal            |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Two pairs, Lake Borrie, WTC.                   |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 8.   | Chestnut Teal        |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Commonest duck, WTC; also pair, GG.            |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 9.   | Hoary-headed Grebe   |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Small groups, Lake Borrie and some lagoons,    |
  | WTC.                                           |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 10.  | Little Pied          |
|      | Cormorant            |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One near YY, small groups Pt Kirk & Little     |
  | River mouth, WTC.                              |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 11.  | Pied Cormorant       |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Flocks on reefs, Pt Kirk & Little River mouth, |
  | WTC; also Altona.                              |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 12.  | Little Black         |
|      | Cormorant            |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Groups on reefs, WTC and Altona; also Yarra    |
  | River.                                         |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 13.  | Great Cormorant      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird, Little River ford, WTC.              |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 14.  | Australian Pelican   |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Individuals and small groups, WTC and Altona.  |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 15.  | White-faced Heron    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One only, Little River mouth, WTC.             |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 16.  | Little Egret         |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One at Little River mouth, WTC.                |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 17.  | Great Egret          |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One on bank of Little River near ford, WTC.    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 18.  | Intermediate Egret   |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird next to road, Kororoit Creek ford,    |
  | Altona.                                        |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 19.  | Cattle Egret         |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One large flock with sheep, east of Werribee.  |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 20.  | Australian White     |
|      | Ibis                 |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Few isolated birds only, WTC.                  |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 21.  | Straw-necked Ibis    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Moderate flocks WTC.                           |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 22.  | Royal Spoonbill      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Three birds feeding in lower reaches of Little |
  | River, WTC.                                    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 23.  | Black-shouldered     |
|      | Kite                 |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One over EF; one near Kirk Point, WTC.         |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 24.  | Black Kite           |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird gliding low over road near Avalon     |
  | Airport.                                       |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 25.  | Whistling Kite       |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | At least one near Werribee River, MS           |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 26.  | Swamp Harrier        |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Several birds seen, Kirk Point & along Little  |
  | River, WTC.                                    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 27.  | Brown Goshawk        |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird circling above Werribee River, MS     |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 28.  | Wedge-tailed Eagle   |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird being mobbed by Ravens, Warrandyte.   |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 29.  | Brown Falcon         |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Occasional, MS, EF & WTC.                      |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 30.  | Purple Swamphen      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present in reedbeds, Yarra Glen, MS & WTC.     |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 31.  | Dusky Moorhen        |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
>------------------------------------------------|
  | Odd birds Warrandyte, MS & WTC.                |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 32.  | Eurasian Coot        |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird only, Kororoit Creek ford, Altona.    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 33.  | Marsh Sandpiper      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | At least two birds with Greenshanks, Little    |
  | River, WTC.                                    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 34.  | Common Greenshank    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Several Little River, a couple Paradise Road   |
  | lagoons, WTC.                                  |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 35.  | Ruddy Turnstone      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird foraging on reef, Kirk Point, WTC.    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 36.  | Red-necked Stint     |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common on reefs, mudflats and shallow lagoons, |
  | WTC.                                           |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 37.  | Sharp-tailed         |
|      | Sandpiper            |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | As above.                                      |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 38.  | Curlew Sandpiper     |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present with above two species, but not as     |
  | numerous, WTC                                  |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 39.  | Sooty Oystercatcher  |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird among Gulls, exposed bar, Little      |
  | River mouth, WTC                               |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 40.  | Pacific Golden       |
|      | Plover               |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | At least four on reef, Kirk Point, WTC.        |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 41.  | Masked Lapwing       |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Odd birds near wetland margins, MS & WTC.      |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 42.  | Pacific Gull         |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One on boat near Kirk Point, WTC; also Little  |
  | River mouth and Altona.                        |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 43.  | Silver Gull          |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common all coastal areas, and some inland      |
  | (GG).                                          |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 44.  | Crested Tern         |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Few resting on reef near Kirk Point; also      |
  | Little River mouth & Altona.                   |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 45.  | Common Tern          |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | At least three birds resting on reef, Altona   |
  | foreshore.                                     |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 46.  | Whiskered Tern       |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common along Little River, WTC.                |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 47.  | Rock Dove            |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Odd birds and small flocks in suburban areas.  |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 48.  | Spotted Turtledove   |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common in eastern suburbs.                     |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 49.  | Common Bronzewing    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Two seen and several heard, CH to Warrandyte.  |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 50.  | Galah                |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present CH & MS, but odd pairs only.           |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 51.  | Long-billed Corella  |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Small flocks Watsons Creek (CH) & YY.          |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 52.  | Sulphur-crested      |
|      | Cockatoo             |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common CH, also present EF & YY.               |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 53.  | Rainbow Lorikeet     |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Few birds Watsons Creek (CH) & GG.             |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 54.  | Musk Lorikeet        |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Small flock in roadside plantation, Millers    |
  | Road, Altona.                                  |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 55.  | Crimson Rosella      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Pairs seen along roadsides and in forest,      |
  | CH-KNP.                                        |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 56.  | Eastern Rosella      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Odd birds CH-Warrandyte, also GG & EF.         |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 57.  | Red-rumped Parrot    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Several EF, also heard YY.                     |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 58.  | Pallid Cuckoo        |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Heard calling Skyline Rd, CH.                  |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 59.  | Fan-tailed Cuckoo    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Heard calling One Tree Hill, CH, & KNP.        |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 60.  | Horsfield?s          |
|      | Bronze-cuckoo        |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Heard calling EF.                              |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 61.  | Shining              |
|      | Bronze-cuckoo        |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird on powerlines, Lara; possibly heard   |
  | elsewhere but not certain.                     |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 62.  | Laughing Kookaburra  |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present CH, Warrandyte, EF.                    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 63.  | Sacred Kingfisher    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Calling at KNP, Warrandyte and YY.             |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 64.  | Rainbow Bee-eater    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Several present YY.                            |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 65.  | White-throated       |
|      | Treecreeper          |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Heard KNP; seen Warrandyte.                    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 66.  | Brown Treecreeper    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common EF.                                     |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 67.  | Superb Fairy-wren    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present CH, Warrandyte, EF, Little River       |
  | mouth, WTC & Altona.                           |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 68.  | Spotted Pardalote    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Calling CH, KNP.                               |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 69.  | Striated Pardalote   |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Calling CH, EF, YY.                            |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 70.  | White-browed         |
|      | Scrub-wren           |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present KNP & Warrandyte; low scrub, WTC.      |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 71.  | Striated Field-wren  |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird at least heard & seen, Little River   |
  | mouth.                                         |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 72.  | Brown Thornbill      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present CH & KNP                               |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 73.  | Buff-rumped          |
|      | Thornbill            |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present EF.                                    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 74.  | Yellow-rumped        |
|      | Thornbill            |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common along roadsides, WTC; also Altona.      |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 75.  | Striated Thornbill   |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Heard KNP; also Warrandyte.                    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 76.  | Red Wattlebird       |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present most forested areas.                   |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 77.  | Little Wattlebird    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present GG.                                    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 78.  | Bell Miner           |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common CH, KNP & Warrandyte.                   |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 79.  | Noisy Miner          |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present Watsns Creek (CH), also MS & YY.       |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 80.  | Yellow-faced         |
|      | Honeyeater           |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common CH & KNP.                               |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 81.  | White-eared          |
|      | Honeyeater           |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common CH; also present Warrandyte.            |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 82.  | White-plumed         |
|      | Honeyeater           |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present MS, YY & Sugar Gum shelter belt, WTC.  |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 83.  | Brown-headed         |
|      | Honeyeater           |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | At least one, EF.                              |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 84.  | White-naped          |
|      | Honeyeater           |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | As for Yellow-faced Honeyeater.                |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 85.  | New Holland          |
|      | Honeyeater           |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Several YY.                                    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 86.  | White-fronted Chat   |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common along roadsides, WTC.                   |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 87.  | Jacky Winter         |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | At least one bird calling, EF.                 |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 88.  | Eastern Yellow Robin |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Heard KNP, seen Warrandyte.                    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 89.  | Golden Whistler      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common and singing freely, CH & Warrandyte.    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 90.  | Rufous Whistler      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Seen and singing KNP, EF.                      |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 91.  | Grey Shrike-thrush   |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common all wooded areas.                       |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 92.  | Restless Flycatcher  |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird calling, YY.                          |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 93.  | Magpie-lark          |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common all open areas.                         |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 94.  | Grey Fantail         |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present CH, KNP, Warrandyte, EF.               |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 95.  | Willie Wagtail       |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present most open areas.                       |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 96.  | Black-faced          |
|      | Cuckoo-shrike        |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Single birds seen, Skyline Road (CH) & GG.     |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 97.  | White-winged Triller |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird at least calling, YY.                 |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 98.  | Olive-backed Oriole  |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Heard calling Skyline Rd, CH & Donvale.        |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 99.  | Grey Butcherbird     |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Calling freely, Watsons Creek & Warrandyte.    |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 100. | Australian Magpie    |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common all open areas.                         |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 101. | Grey Currawong       |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird seen near One Tree Hill Rd, CH.       |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 102. | Australian Raven     |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Several calling at dawn, CH.                   |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 103. | Little Raven         |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | All Ravens heard west of Melbourne were Little |
  | Ravens.                                        |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 104. | White-winged Chough  |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird only, Warrandyte North.               |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 105. | Skylark              |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Calling constantly, WTC; also heard MS.        |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 106. | Richard?s Pipit      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common along fencelines, MS ? WTC.             |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 107. | House Sparrow        |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common in grassy areas, especially west of     |
  | Melbourne.                                     |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 108. | Red-browed Finch     |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | At least two, Warrandyte.                      |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 109. | European Greenfinch  |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Heard WTC & Altona, in cypress windbreaks.     |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 110. | European Goldfinch   |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Several flocks seen in western grassland       |
  | areas, including MS & WTC.                     |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 111. | Mistletoe-bird       |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | One bird calling, KNP.                         |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 112. | Welcome Swallow      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common in open areas, especially over water.   |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 113. | Tree Martin          |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Flocks at EF; apparently breeding in Grey Box  |
  | hollows.                                       |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 114. | Fairy Martin         |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Small group near Avalon Airport.               |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 115. | Clamorous Reed       |
|      | Warbler              |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Common and calling loudly, all reedbed areas.  |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 116. | Little Grassbird     |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Heard calling MS & near Little River mouth and |
  | Lake Borrie, WTC.                              |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 117. | Golden-headed        |
|      | Cisticola            |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present in rank grass trackside verges, WTC.   |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 118. | Silvereye            |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Small flock at Little River ford, WTC.         |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 119. | Common Blackbird     |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Present CH and suburban areas.                 |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 120. | Common Starling      |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | Regrettably common, all areas.                 |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|------+---------------------->
|      |                      |
| 121. | Common Mynah         |
|      |                      |
|------+---------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | As above, unfortunately.                       |
  >------------------------------------------------|
| 122. | White-winged Chough  |
  | One small flock, Skyline Road, CH.             |

   Regards,

      Jack