birding-aus

RE: Observations from south-west Victoria & Vic Twitchathon

Subject: RE: Observations from south-west Victoria & Vic Twitchathon
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:04:39 +1000
> 1.  Chestnut-rumped Heathwren
>
> Two birds in the Grampians just north of Dunkeld.  I recorded one in this
> area in Sep '88 and despite visiting the location on dozens of occasions

Hi Steve

Nice work.  I've recorded this species only once in the Grampians, in heath
beside the Halls Gap to Dunkeld Road at Grasstree Creek.  This would have
been circa 1980??  Anywhere near your bird?  There were also King Quail at
that location in 1980.

> 2.  Brush Cuckoo
>
> One calling near my house in Hamilton yesterday afternoon and this
> morning.  My first record west of Melbourne (Kinglae N.P.).  The Atlas of

Nice record too.  I record them reasonably regularly in the eastern Otway
Ranges on a line through from Barwon Downs to Lorne - maybe one or two every
3-4 years.  Not quite in your area, but a bit further west than Kinglake.

> I look forward to reading all the twitchathon reports as soon as the
> combatants catch up on their sleep.

Modesty prevents me from saying too much just yet!  My team, "The Common
Driving-Petrolheads" were humbled indeed (and a little surprised) to be
declared the winners of the Victorian event, with 180 species.  1998 proved
to be a difficult year - hot and very windy for most of Saturday afternoon,
and waterbirds requiring quite a bit of hard work.  Cutest bird was without
any doubt a baby Tawny Frogmouth on its nest in suburban Geelong.  Detailed
list available later this week if anyone wants it.

So shocked was I to win, that I became incoherent when called on to give a
speech, so I'll take this opportunity in a public forum to thank a few
people:

*       My team - Grant Baverstock, Susan Myers, Stuart Dashper (and the
absent Russell Woodford);
*       My supportive partner - Fiona Kinsey;
*       Grant's supportive partner - Catherine Baverstock;
*       The other teams (it was a very close finish between the top 3
teams);
*       Staff and volunteers at Birds Australia HQ - perhaps particular
thanks to Khalid Al-Dabbagh, Annie & Ken Rogers, for their work at the
organising end;
*       The sponsors, and in our case also the commercial sponsors Leica,
who provided very snazzy wristwatches for the winning team.

Cheers, Lawrie

Lawrie Conole
Fitzroy North, Victoria, Australia
37°46'57"S  144°58'45"E