birding-aus

Observations from south-west Victoria

Subject: Observations from south-west Victoria
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:02:18 -0500
G'day all

Two quality observations in south-west Victoria over the weekend:

1.  Chestnut-rumped Heathwren

Two birds in the Grampians just north of Dunkeld.  I recorded one in this
area in Sep '88 and despite visiting the location on dozens of occasions
yesterday was the first time I've seen them since.  My only other records
are a couple in the Black Range west of Cherrypool on the Hamilton-Horsham
road.

2.  Brush Cuckoo

One calling near my house in Hamilton yesterday afternoon and this
morning.  My first record west of Melbourne (Kinglae N.P.).  The Atlas of
Victorian Birds has a few records west of Melbourne including one which
appears to be in the Grampians somewhere.  Have any of you recorded this
species in my area?

I look forward to reading all the twitchathon reports as soon as the
combatants catch up on their sleep.

Cheers

Steve

Stephen Clark
Agriculture Victoria, Pastoral & Veterinary Institute
Private Bag 105  HAMILTON  3300  Australia
Phone 0355 730 977   Fax 0355 711 523