birding-aus

RE: gaining access to Werribee Sewage Farm

To: "" <>
Subject: RE: gaining access to Werribee Sewage Farm
From: John Barkla <>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:04:26 +1000
Larry

Access to the Western Treatment Plant is regulated via a permit
system.  You need to write to Melbourne Water C/o New Farm Road
Werribee setting out the reason why you are requesting a permit (bird
watching is commonly given as the reason).  They will send you a
permit application form to complete and return together with an
application fee of $25.  You will not be allowed access to the
Murtcaim Nature Reserve which includes the North and South Spits - the
area used by the Orange-bellied Parrot.  This area is not administered
by Melbourne Water and is only open to access for research purposes
(bird watching is allowed, but on an extremely limited and strictly
controlled group basis).

Once you have a permit to the WTP, you will need to advise Melbourne
Water each time you visit.  They will ask details of your vehicle
registration, time of arrival and departure and anticipated route.
 This information is passed to their security people.  If you are
involved in a commercial tour other rules may apply.

The permit you are issued includes a basic map of the area, but it
does not indicate the roads which are closed off by locked gates.
 Most of the regular bird watchers have a key to the gates or can
navigate through the area by avoiding them.  It would be wise to have
someone take you around if you have not been there before.  There are
over 200 kilometres of roads and it is extremely easy to get lost.
 Also it helps if you know where the conservation ponds and other good
bird spots are.

Finally, Melbourne Water have just released a Bird List booklet for
the WTP.  It can be purchased through BOCA or Birds Australia for a
modest sum and is most informative.

If I can be of further help please let me know.  You will need to be
quick though as I leave for the States on Friday.  I return on 5
November.

Regards

John Barkla
Chairman
WTP Wildlife Consultative Committee of Melbourne Water