RE: gaining access to Werribee Sewage Farm

To: "" <>
Subject: RE: gaining access to Werribee Sewage Farm
From: John Barkla <>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:04:26 +1000

Access to the Western Treatment Plant is regulated via a permit 
system.  You need to write to Melbourne Water C/o New Farm Road 
Werribee setting out the reason why you are requesting a permit (bird 
watching is commonly given as the reason).  They will send you a 
permit application form to complete and return together with an 
application fee of $25.  You will not be allowed access to the 
Murtcaim Nature Reserve which includes the North and South Spits - the 
area used by the Orange-bellied Parrot.  This area is not administered 
by Melbourne Water and is only open to access for research purposes 
(bird watching is allowed, but on an extremely limited and strictly 
controlled group basis).

Once you have a permit to the WTP, you will need to advise Melbourne 
Water each time you visit.  They will ask details of your vehicle 
registration, time of arrival and departure and anticipated route. 
 This information is passed to their security people.  If you are 
involved in a commercial tour other rules may apply.

The permit you are issued includes a basic map of the area, but it 
does not indicate the roads which are closed off by locked gates. 
 Most of the regular bird watchers have a key to the gates or can 
navigate through the area by avoiding them.  It would be wise to have 
someone take you around if you have not been there before.  There are 
over 200 kilometres of roads and it is extremely easy to get lost. 
 Also it helps if you know where the conservation ponds and other good 
bird spots are.

Finally, Melbourne Water have just released a Bird List booklet for 
the WTP.  It can be purchased through BOCA or Birds Australia for a 
modest sum and is most informative.

If I can be of further help please let me know.  You will need to be 
quick though as I leave for the States on Friday.  I return on 5 


John Barkla
WTP Wildlife Consultative Committee of Melbourne Water

From:  :
Sent:  18 October 1998 10:56
Subject:  gaining access to Werribee Sewage Farm

         Patricia Maher suggested I write to you all to ask about how 
to get
permission to  bird the sewage ponds in Werribee.  Andrea and I will 
be in
that area probably in the latter part of the first week of November.

         If anyone has any suggestions, please respond within the next 
days to   Thank you for any assistance you can 

Larry Gardella

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the birding-aus mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the archive e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU