birding-aus

HOODED PLOVERS DOWN SOUTH

Subject: HOODED PLOVERS DOWN SOUTH
From: lorne <>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 14:28:40 +0000
Hello all... Lorne here...

I was at Dolphin Point, south of Lake Conjola, on Saturday the 17th at
about 5:30pm. By chance, I was scanning the beaches and rocks for Hooded
Plovers, which I've never seen before and guess what...

I found three of them.

ANOTHER LIFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have similar characteristics to Black-fronted Dotterals and were
scurrying about on a beach right by the waterline and the sandbank/dune
in the middle of the river/estuary entrance. It was very hazy/murky when
it came to 6pm, so hard to get great views. My friend, also with binocs,
thought he saw one of the trio on a nest!

Hooded Plovers don't come that much further north than this area from
what I gather!

Cheers and peace and love to all,

lgj.