birding-aus

Re: Origma at Capertee

To: <>
Subject: Re: Origma at Capertee
From: "Alan Stuart" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 20:55:11 +1000
Regarding David Geering's query/comments about Rockwarbler, I'd like to add
a couple of
points.

Firstly, with regard to range, the species is recorded far to the north of
Munghorn Gap.  HBOC has breeding records from the Wingen area (lying
between Scone & Murrurundi in the upper Hunter Valley, and considerably to
the north of Munghorn Gap), and numerous other records from locations with
suitable habitat between Munghorn and Wingen.  David  - consult your 1994
Hunter Region bird report.

With regard to habitat, the bird is restricted to sandstone country
but not just to "Hawkesbury" sandstone.  Chris Herbert, a geologist who is
a member of HBOC , has told me that there are many different sandstone
formations within the range of the Rockwarbler.  For example, Narambeen
Sandstone is widely encountered.

It's always a delight to encounter Rockwarbler (usually in pairs) in the
Upper Hunter Valley and to be in their habitat.  The Widden Valley, near
Wollemi National Park, is my favourite spot anywhere for birdwatching and
for its fantastic scenery.

Alan Stuart
HBOC President