birding-aus

Re: Kites, parrots and apostlebirds

To: David Geering <>
Subject: Re: Kites, parrots and apostlebirds
From: morris <>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 18:54:15 +1000
Hi David,
In respect to your comments on Superb Parrots, yes Carcoar is definately
further east than usual; when only adult males are seen in the one group
during the breeding season, I suppose that this indicates that the
females are on the nest (as with Red-rumped parrots)! Question, are they
breeding at Carcoar? It is over ten yesars since Rick Webster produced
his report on the status of the Superb Parrot, and I get the distinct
feeling, not scientifically based, that there are more Superb Parrots
being seen at more locations and over a greater area, in recent years.

2. Apostlebirds. Their eastern distriubution is odd. Could be related to
elevation in that there are none around Bathurst, Orange & Mudgee but
they do occur at Birriwa, just to the north of Gulgong, but where the
elevation is lower.

3. Rock Warbler. You have the distribution correct but not being a
geologist, I would not dare to comment on the "Hawkesbury Sandstone" and
the "Sydney Basin".

Alan Morris
NSWFOC Records Officer