birding-aus

Square-tailed Kites

To: Neville Schrader <>,
Subject: Square-tailed Kites
From: morris <>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 20:47:35 +1000
Hi Neville
Your note about the Square-tailed Kites seen in the Pilliga Scrub, 65 km
North of the Oxley Highway turn-off the Newell Highway, has been noted.
When the Gould League Bird Camp was held at nearby Timor Rock 30/9/98 to
8/10/98, we saw Square-tailed Kites in Yarrigan SF where  Bugaldie Creek
crosses the Bugaldie to Baradine Road, and in Baradine SF, about 4 km N
of Baradine. Last year they nested along Dandry Road, about 8km NNE of
Coonabarabran.In previous years but not this year they have nested along
Baradine Creek, about 4km N of Baradine. I remember that Arnold McGill
saw them in the 1970s at the point where the Newell Highway and the
Oxley Highway meet, NE of Coonabarabran. The Pilliga SFs/Nrs appear to
be good habitat for them.
Incidentally did you drop into the Sandstone Caves while you were
passing through? It must be 20 years since we were bogged in the sand in
your car down near Yamimba Creek!

Alan Morris
NSWFOC Records Officer