birding-aus

Cattle Egrets

Subject: Cattle Egrets
From: (Chris Dahlberg)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:00:09 +1000 (EST)
Hello everybody
                 up until Mon 21 Sep there have been several hundred Cattle
Egrets night roosting 300 metres upstream from the Daintree Village Jetty.
Over the last two weeks they have been coming into breeding plumage. Since
Tues I have sighted only about 50 or so and I suspect the bulk of them are
going to descend on some area and start breeding? early?

    Down Townsville way, Jo Wieneke had a large breeding colony alongside
Black Flying-foxes in Ross Creek (?) River (?) in the suburbs of Townsville
last year.

    If anyone in the area has a sudden influx of Cattle Egrets I would like
to know.
Cheers
Chris