birding-aus

[no subject]

From: (John Leonard)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:52:45 +1000 (EST)
We have a Prunus sp tree in our front yard which has just finished
flowering. Yesterday I observed a Red Wattlebird land on the pine chips
under the tree and hop around searching out the dried blossoms which were
lying on the ground. It ate about 20 blossoms in a minute or so, and then
was distracted by a Gang-gang, which it had to fly off and chase
(Wattlebirds seem to be very aggressive at this time of year, often chasing
birds away from their territory, even though there is nothing native
flowering in the vicinity at the moment).

Anyway I assume that it was eating the blossoms for the sake of the residue
of nectar which is to be found in them (the Wattlebirds had been feeding in
the tree previously when it was flowering).

John Leonard (Dr),
PO Box 243,
Woden, ACT 2606

"that knowledge which is not a stranger in something
strange to it"     Plotinus

http://www.spirit.net.au/~jleonard