birding-aus

Brown Falcon ?

Subject: Brown Falcon ?
From: Peter Pfeiffer <>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:48:49
Hi,
     Did I see a Brown Falcon briefly ?   About a month ago I was walking
past a creek in our suburb of Happy Valley in SA when I noticed two rainbow
lorrikets
'hooning' on down the creek- line shrieking madly.  A second or so later
there was a loud roar like a jet engine just above my head as a brown flash
went screaming after the lorries.  I was quick enough to see a brown bird ~
15cm in diameter, wings close to it's body going like a bullet. I estimated
the 'Brown bullet' was doing over 200km/hr. Fantastic !
   If I had been hit by this bird it would have been messy.

Any thoughts on an ID ?

Peter.

Peter Pfeiffer
Department of Chemistry