birding-aus

golf, vegetation and wildlife

Subject: golf, vegetation and wildlife
From: "M. Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 00:25:45 +1000
Can anyone provide some references on golf courses and their
effectiveness or otherwise as wildlife habitat (including native
vegetation). References of a more general nature on environmental impact
of golf courses would also be very useful. References to Australian
courses, particularly those in the Perth, Adelaide, and Melbourne areas
would be particularly welcome. I am trying to develop a training course
on design and management for conservation for golf course
superintendants, and managers, and I will need as much information as
possible to back up anything I have to say.  If this is successful (and
there are indications that it will be), I hope to develop similar
training for designers and builders (a tougher nut to crack, perhaps!).
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
--
"Beware of Half-truths... you may have the wrong half"

M. Scott O'Keeffe
Centre for Conservation Biology
University of Queensland