birding-aus

RE: Greenfields Wetlands, SA

To: "'van Roekel'" <>,
Subject: RE: Greenfields Wetlands, SA
From: "Norton, Richard" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:05:25 +0930
Hmmm. I've been living in the Greenfields Wetlands for the last three
weeks, and there doesn't appear to be any "Centre" here. The area you
are describing is probably the presently unused World War 2
ammunition-magazine area on Magazine Road, just north of the centre part
of the wetlands.

The Greenfields Wetlands are located 9 KM north of the centre of
Adelaide, in the southern part of Salisbury. South Road is a major
north-south artery through western Adelaide. At it's north end, a
connector was recently built that connects it to Salisbury Highway. On
both sides of that Connector Road, and on both sides of the southern
part of Salisbury Highway, the city of Salisbury has recently built a
wetland. The wetland serves to purify street-runoff water before it is
discharged into the Gulf St. Vincent. The wetland is also built and
managed to provide bird habitat.

The main area is north-east of  Salisbury Highway and Port Wakefield
Road. It has walking trails with wooden footbridges over waterways. This
section is open weekdays only during working hours. There are parking
facilities for cars.

The other sections are open anytime.

One frequently productive section can be reached by going north on
Magazine Road and parking on the roadside.

Further south there is the adjacent Barker Inlet Wetlands which has
viewing platforms of both sides of the Connector Road with parking
areas.

The Greenfields and Barker Inlet Wetlands are both managed by John Cox,
a well-known, knowledgable birder, whose phone number is (08) 8359 0884.
Over 100 species of birds have been seen there.

At present there is plenty of water in the ponds. As the summer
approaches the levels will go down in some and mudflats will attract
more waders and crakes.

Regards,

Dick Norton
currently in Adelaide, SA