birding-aus

Raptors in the Lockyer Valley and their conservation

To: "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Raptors in the Lockyer Valley and their conservation
From: "Atzeni, Michael" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 16:11:25 +1000
Thanks to those who have replied to my email regarding inland records of
Brahminy Kites.

It looks as though inland records are few and far between.  However, I have
since learnt that an immature Brahminy Kite was recorded 23/3/97 at Lake
Clarendon about 10km north east of Gatton, meaning the Apex Lake sighting at
Gatton was the second record for the Lockyer Valley.

It also dawned on me that, with Brahminy Kite now recorded, all the endemic
species of eagles, hawks and falcons have now been seen in the Lockyer
Valley, located between Toowoomba and Brisbane.  All the owls (excluding
Rufous and Lesser Sooty) have also been recorded.

Can any other area of Australia boast a similar raptor list (and a total
species list of some 300 species to boot)?

Despite this remarkable list, there has been a noticeable decline in
sightings of some species, particularly the owls, which I believe have
suffered greatly in recent years from a combination of drought and poor
management of the habitat, at least around Toowoomba.  Unfortunately, some
previously resident owl species have not been seen for a few years.  In the
past, the Toowoomba Bird Observers has applied unsuccessfully for
appropriate government funding to have a consultant conduct research into
managing key remnant owl habitat along the Toowoomba escarpment.

We've lost heart and haven't tried the last two years but that's not to say
we've given up.  Apparently, we need a new strategy and I would be very
interested and grateful to hear the approach taken from anybody who has
successfully secured funds for a similar purpose.  Or is our experience
sadly the norm?

Regards
Michael Atzeni

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Michael Atzeni
        Environmental Modeller
        Intensive Livestock Environmental Management Services
        Department of Primary Industries
        PO Box 102 (203 Tor St)
        Toowoomba QLD 4350
        AUSTRALIA