birding-aus

Re: NIGHT PARROT Request for advice

To: "Peter Them" <>
Subject: Re: NIGHT PARROT Request for advice
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 13:08:13 +1000
As far as I know, off the top of my head, but I am not an expert, there have
been a desiccated carcase and few feathers found, a few suspected sightings,
as in something seen at night that could have been it. I hope you are aware
that these birds live (if they still do) in difficult and remote places. A
tour to see them is not something to be taken lightly. I would not like an
obsession to see the highly unlikely to rob you of the chance to encounter
with a high probability, so many other things that are just as worthwhile;
and not just parrots. The Crimson and Eastern Rosellas and Galah &
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo are common residents in my garden (and throughout
most of eastern Australia) but if they were rare, they would be vastly more
appreciated and sought after. There are also plenty enough rare parrots too,
widely distributed in Australia that could benefit from logistically
feasible short term studies. I predict that you will not encounter all (or
even most) of them in one month either, especially if you spend most of the
month in central Australia. If you are seeking the Night Parrot because you
have a legitimate research interest and want to find it for specific
information or conservation purposes, then good luck to you. If you are
motivated to see it just because it is rare, then my humble opinion is that
it is hardly a worthy cause. Sorry if that seems unfriendly.