birding-aus

Spring at Castlereagh, & Londonderry , near Sydney NSW

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Spring at Castlereagh, & Londonderry , near Sydney NSW
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 21:29:52 +1000
It was a beautiful day around Sydney today and the Castlereagh Nature
Reserve was our first stop.  Not much blossom left on the Mugga Ironbarks,
no Regent Honeyeaters but Pallid Cuckoos called and overhead a pair of Grey
Goshawks displayed with some tumbling before disappearing.  In one feeding
flock a Shining Bronze Cuckoo was giving some peculiar (to me) calls
similar to the "sparrow" calls of the Horsfield Bronze Cuckoo.
Far better (in my opinion) was the ground orchid carpet.  At least four
species. To see them,
from the Northern Road carpark, take the right hand entrance and walk about
150 paces and instead of following the track, go straight ahead down the
slope through the forest.
At Londonderry there is still an amazing amount of blossom in the Ironbarks
which were visited by the Swift Parrots for weeks. Lots of Noisy Friarbirds
here.
Trevor  & Annie Quested
Sydney,  Australia

Phone   +61 2 9955 6266