birding-aus

Suggestions for birding around Sydney Sept 11-13??

Subject: Suggestions for birding around Sydney Sept 11-13??
From: David Quady & Nancy Boas <>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:25:44 +0000
Greetings to Aus-birders from up over:

Lucky me will be back in Australia in mid-September, working in WA
mainly, but planning to bird around Sydney the weekend I arrive, as
well as the weekend before I leave. (For the latter, I'll take both of
the boat trips Tony Palliser has scheduled, if there are slots
available.)

So I'm looking for suggestions on where to bird from mid-morning
Friday 11 Sept through to mid-afternoon Sunday 13 Sept.  I will bring
a 'scope, and will rent a car, so could range a few hours in any
direction from Sydney.  I've birded a bit around Cairns and Melbourne,
more from Perth down to Albany in WA, and spent a weekend in
Deniliquin previously.  But there are LOTS of NSW birds I've never
seen, plus there all those shorebirds we see so seldom on our side of
the Pacific.

Soooo . . .  suggestions on productive ways to spend my weekend?
Nightbirds, endemics, shorebirds, and just plain old-neat NSW birds
are my priorities.   I have copies of Bransbury's and the Thomases
bird-finding guides, and suggestions from Tony (Royal NP, Mitchell
Park, Cape Solander NP, Capertree, Comleroy Rd, and Dharug NP).  But
where do you suggest I go, and what might I expect to see?  If your
suggested sites wouldn't be blindingly obvious to a first-time visitor
and/or aren't mentioned in the books I have, please be as explicit as
you can.

All ideas gratefully accepted, with advance thanks and the promise
that I'll return the favor if you get up my way.

Cheers.

Dave Quady
Berkeley, California USA