birding-aus

Orange-bellied Parrots

Subject: Orange-bellied Parrots
From: Nandini Kuehn <>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:46:03 +1000
On Saturday, August 22, I saw 4 Orange-bellied Parrots at the Queenscliff
Golf Course on Swan Island (Port Philip Bay, Victoria).  Seeing them was
fabulous, but the reason for this message is to relay my experiences in
getting on to this site.  I had heard lots of different reports about access.

I called Queenscliff Golf Course (03-5258-1951) a few days before my visit.
The man I spoke with (didn't get his name) couldn't have been more friendly
and helpful.  He knew exactly what I was calling about and said no problem
to visit.  Just stop at the pro shop and ask for Gary.  He said just tell
the security guard (access is controlled because there is a military
facility on the island) that I was going to the golf course.  On Sat.
morning, a very friendly security guard said, before I said a word, "Are you
going to the golf course?"  I said "Yes", and she took my surname and
license plate number.  She was not an armed, hostile military type. I
quickly drove through and was at the golf course in a couple of minutes.
Gary was in the pro shop and was also very friendly and helpful.  He pointed
out where the OBP's were most likely to be seen and confirmed that birders
had been seeing them for the last two weeks or so.  The place to look is
along the boundary fence on the 7th hole, basically from the 7th tee to the
8th tee.  After walking along here a few times (and watching for flying golf
balls), I did see the birds in the low shrubs between the fence and the water.

The Queenscliff Golf Course is not only very tolerant of and helpful to
birders, but they appear to be doing a good job of protecting the shrubby
habitat.

Woody Kuehn