birding-aus

Re: Atlassing - in hope

Subject: Re: Atlassing - in hope
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:21:43 +1000
Hi everyone,
I too was out for a short period on the weekend on Phillip Island in
Westernport Bay Victoria.  The weather was icy but
I got down to Rhyll to set a winter baseline for the waders.  There were about
20 Eastern Curlews, 1 common Greenshank
and 1 Common Sandpiper (which was a new one for me on Phillip Island).  Also a
number of Cape Barren Geese as usual
around the island.
One problematic sighting was the Currawongs.  I saw three Currawongs, two of
which were certainly Grey Currawongs of the
normal grey southern color.  One Currawong however was very black with no white
on the rump and only a tiny bit of white
in the wings.  If I had been in the Mallee I would have said it was a
black-winged form of the Grey Currawong but they
shouldn't be around the south of Victoria should they?  Does anyone have any
suggestions on this one?

Also was talking to my family who are still in Mt Isa at the moment.  They too
are collecting data for a possible atlas
download in the future.  The birds they are listing are of a higher calibre
than mine however as yesterday the saw 2
Letter-winged Kites beginning feeding just on dusk.  Also on the second try got
good views and hopefully video of
Carpentarian Grass-wrens on the Loretta Mine Rd.  What a difference between
Phillip Island in winter (12 degrees, rain,
icy wind, Cape Barren Geese) and Mt. Isa (clear skies, low thirties, grasswrens
and L-W Kites).  I know where I would
rather be.

Best Wishes
John