birding-aus

Taxonomic splitting and bird song

Subject: Taxonomic splitting and bird song
From: (Syd Curtis)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 06:31:24 +1000
Being a lumper not a splitter from way back, and somewhat suspicious of
taxonomists in general (while benefitting from their hard work), I am not
competent to enter into arguments on species and subspecies.
(Incompetence, didn't stop me with common names, but that was more in the
spirit of good fun than science.)  However, I'd like to comment on song
dialects.

  Niels Poul Dreyer raised the possibility of song dialects being used
through playback to assess whether different populations would be likely to