birding-aus

Jullaten Blue Gums

Subject: Jullaten Blue Gums
From: (Chris Dahlberg)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 11:47:54 +1000 (EST)
Hello All
          In the interests of fair play can we get the facts right.

   1.   The decision to cut the trees down at Geraghty Park was made at a
Mareeba Shire Council meeting prior to the public meeting last night which
was held to inform the public that the trees are to be cut down.

   2.   There are more than 100 trees in the park, the six biggest and the
only ones with hollows in them are the ones to be cut down.

   3.   A contractor has quoted $1 900 to do the job.

   4.   The long posting that I put up is Lloyd Nielsen's, not mine. I would
have liked to shorten it but was concerned I might have changed it's
meaning. I agree with the posting 100%.

   The meeting went ahead as planned with Mayor Chris Lewis as Chair. In
attendance were 59 people, one of them the local councillor, Wally Gray. A
motion was passed for the trees to remain. 58 voted for the motion and
Councillor Gray against.
   Mayor Lewis, in light of the public concern, is to raise the issue again
at the next council meeting to be held on Tues 18 Aug '98.

   HE DID NOT KNOW IF THE CONTRACTOR HAS BEEN GIVEN THE JOB YET OR NOT,
consequently these trees are still in jeopardy. It is likely that the
council is breaking the law if it fells the trees. It will not matter if the
trees are on the ground! Think about this; this is happening in North
Queensland which reminds me of the wild west last century, and there are
some very annoyed contractors and councillors out there.

   Councillor Gray has been telephoning people from this list, who have sent
emails to the council in support of Lloyd's request, informing them that
they are ill-informed. I will leave it up to you to decide who is
ill-informing who.

   Lloyd should be on the list within a day or so.
Cheers for now
Chris