birding-aus

Photography and Spotting Scopes

Subject: Photography and Spotting Scopes
From: palliser <>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:11:24 +1000
>Any thoughts on straight versus angled spotting scope for photography, or
>Fluorite (TSN-823/TSN-824) versus normal multi-coated objective lenses
>(TSN-821/TSN-822)?

David,
I have been using a TSN Kowa Spotting Scope with a Camera adapter for some
time and have been pleasantly surprised by the results.  The advantage is
its a lot cheaper than buying a long lens so if like me you only have the
occasional need then yes I think its a good idea.  The big pain is that it
is cumbersome to set up and difficult to focus quickly and you will
certainly need a good tripod.  Most of the shots I have taken have been
using Kodachrome 64 which means slow speeds but for waders and the like it
works well.  I do have the fluorite lens edition and I have been told it is
this lens that makes all the difference.  I see no reason to doubt this its
worth paying the extra in my opinion.

I would definitely go for the Straight Spotting Scope, setting up a the
camera and then using it on the angled version is too cumbersome and you
have no chance trying to use it like that from a car window.

Anyway to check out the results have a look at these pictures both were
taken through the Kowa Scope using Kodachrome 64.

http://www.zip.com.au/~palliser/img184b.html
http://www.zip.com.au/~palliser/img183b.html

Best Regards
Tony