birding-aus

Re: Golden Whistler Split

To: David James <>
Subject: Re: Golden Whistler Split
From: Niels Poul Dreyer <>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:46:21 +1000 (EST)
Dear Folks

I have followed the debate about albatross generic status and speciation. It
is very complicated stuff. Are the DNA different for Buller's Albatross
nesting on Chatman Island from those breeding on Snares?. If so which id
features are avialable and which one reach Australia.

If we take the logic further I would guss there are lots of birds to be
split. Has anybody thought about studying DNA and generic viability of
Golden Whistlers on all pacific Islands. A LOT OF SPLITS IN WAITING I have
tape recording of golden whistlers living on Fijii which differ from Lord
Howe and A golden whislers.  I would think other creteria for splits should
be isolation of populations, bird calls, hybridasation possibilities. Would
a male Golden Whistler on Fijii attract female Australian Whistlers?. Maybee
we should experiement by play back of tape recording of another subspecies.
Andrew Whittaker in Brazil could not attract Scaly-backed Antbirds in Alta
Floresta by using tape recordings obtained of Scaly-backed Antbirds in
Ecurdor. On the ground the birds look very similar.
Niels Poul Dreyer
Niels Poul Dreyer
10/35-37 Denman Camp Road
Scarness, Qld 4655