birding-aus

RFI - Burketown and Karumba

Subject: RFI - Burketown and Karumba
From: "Chris Lester"<>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:01:23 +1000
Dear Birding-Ausers,

A small group of keen birders (including me) is visiting the Mt Isa area
for a week at the start of September.  We are considering travelling up to
the Gulf of Carpentaria for a short visit, particularly looking for
Chestnut Rail and Great-billed Heron.

Does anyone have any opinion about whether Burketown or Karumba is the best
place to visit?  Are there particular sites on which to concentrate?   Are
there good boat drivers in either place for travelling up and down the
mangroves?

Finally, is there any recommended accommodation?

Chris