birding-aus

the last word (on common names & weeds)

Subject: the last word (on common names & weeds)
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:53:20 +1000
Thank you all those who took the trouble to reply and to Glen for supplying
the reference to CAMPBELL, A.J., DE VIS, C.W., LEGGE, R.W. AND STIRLING,
E.C. 1898.
List of vernacular names for Australian birds. pp.128-154.

The consensus is that 'Buln Buln' is the Mallee Ringneck (though also the
Lyrebird in parts of Victoria),
white headed water hen is the eurasian coot
hopping johnny is (probably) the grey crowned babbler
black magpie - I will have to follow this up as we saw a pied currawong but
no choughs during our time there.

Coffee duck remains a mystery.

On a more serious note we came across parthenium weed at a watering point
on a property in Belyando Shire (there is a sign warning of its presence at
Belyando Crossing picnic area on the Gregory Development Road) and even
more disturbingly
at the Mingela Wetlands on the Flinders Highway between Charters Towers and
Townsville.  I've passed the information on to the Dept of Natural
Resources, but would local and visiting birders please watch out for it
when travelling through the area.

Cheers

Alex Appleman
Townsville