birding-aus

Common names continued

To: "List Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Common names continued
From: "Glen Ingram" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:05:27 +1000
For those who are interested in the fascinating history of Australian of
common names for birds, the reference is:

CAMPBELL, A.J., DE VIS, C.W., LEGGE, R.W. AND STIRLING, E.C. 1898. List of
vernacular names for Australian birds. pp.128-154. In Liversidge, A. (ed.),
'Report of the seventh meeting of the Australasian Association for the
Advancement of Science'. (Australasian Association for the Advancement of
Science: Sydney) lii+1161pp, 36pll.

It was also produced as an offprint which had page numbers 1-27. I wouldn't
mind procuring one if anyone sees a copy around. Hint, hint.

Wonderful about "Jabiru" being from Uruguay or Paraguay! How did the name
come to Australia from South America - and so early in the piece?
Interestingly, Leichhardt in 1847 in his "Overland Expedition" called it
"Tabiroo". Chisholm would have spat chips over that.

Best wishes

Glen Ingram
Brisbane, Australia.

?I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough
the bad luck of the early worm? Franklin D. Roosevelt.