birding-aus

Re: Shoveler Feeding question.

To: Eric Hocking <>
Subject: Re: Shoveler Feeding question.
From: (Harvey Perkins)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:48:34 +1000
>> They have a special trick to bring their food to the surface.
>> Two or more Shovelers will swim clockwise in tight circles,
>> with their bills busily working the water.  The swimming action
>> causes the water to well up from below, bringing more food
>> within reach.  I've seen as many as 30 of these ducks having
>> a real feeding-frenzy in one big circle.  There is a very
>> precise protocol for entering and leaving the circle, without
>> disrupting the continuity.  The one question that is burning
>> in my mind: Do the Shovelers in the Southern Hemisphere swim
>> counter-clockwise?

I remember seeing two Pink-eared Ducks feeding by swimming in a tight
circle at Jerrabomberra Wetlands in Canberra a couple of years ago.  I'm
pretty sure they were also swimming in a clockwise direction!

Dr Harvey D. Perkins
Divn Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Faculty of Science
Australian National University