birding-aus

Indicator species

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Indicator species
From: "Robert Berry" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:04:19 +1000
Hi Jack

Native species are surely the best indicator species we have. Because they
have been in tune with their environment for so long change in their
frequency almost certainly reflects change in habitat. Range extension in
exotics often only reflects continuing colonisation.

As an example, if treecreepers, lorikeets and honeyeaters go from common to
rare whilst Galahs and Crested Pigeons go from unknown to common you know
exactly what happened to the vegetation in that area.

Rob