birding-aus

local extinctions (Sydney, NSW)

Subject: local extinctions (Sydney, NSW)
From: palliser <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 00:38:25 +1000
Sorry folks a little more grim news

I have just been browsing through E. Hoskins great book 'Birds of Sydney
1991'.  In short from my brief look through the list it would appear as
though the following species are now possibly extinct as breeding species
in the Sydney (Cumberland) area, and all in the last 10 years!:

Great crested Grebe
Musk Duck
Turquoise Parrot
Barking Owl
Black-eared Cuckoo
Hooded Robin
Eastern Bristlebird
Striated Fieldwren
Brown Treecreeper
Apostlebird
White-backed Swallow

At least I have not been able to find any of them in the Sydney area in
recent years Has anyone sighted any of these in the county of Cumberland
recently? I only hope that I am wrong! Surely species cannot disappear at
such speed without anyone noticing?  Who did the impact study on the
Penrith Lakes area? They did a very poor job in my opinion. And to top that
there are a few more that must be very close to extinction locally.  Are
there any more?

Hoary-headed Grebe
Bush Stone-Curlew
Red-capped Plover
Bar-shouldered Dove
Sooty Owl
Pheasant Coucal
Rufous Songlark
Red-capped Robin
Diamond Firetail

All spring to mind.  As for Red-rumped Parrot I would go so far as to say
that they are common in Sydney and becoming more common each year.

Good Birding
Tony