birding-aus

RE: Greenfinch introductions to Australia

To: "'Martin O'Brien'" <>,
Subject: RE: Greenfinch introductions to Australia
From: "Maurovic, Mauro (SAHC)" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:46:25 +0930
Many thanks Martin or the info.
I still however don't know if you get large flocks like house sparrows.

Michel Norris also responded saying:
>From the Readers Digest book of British Birds: In UK hardly ever found
far from human settlements. Nest in loose colonies (eg. adjacent bushes)
building untidy cup nest of grass, moss and roots with lining of roots.
Nests in hedges, bushes or trees.

My recollection is that the nest is not that untidy - sure goldfinch are
much neater but it's nothing like the football of rubbish that house
sparrows create (partly by nicking bits of the nests of Ozzie species).
Since I moved to Australia my experience is that local numbers can
fluctuate very much: 5 years ago there was a colony but since then only
occasional pairs.  The historical records for my area also suggest
marked ups and downs.

Michael Norris

Cheers
Mauro